Bug Search with Google!

Symantec Endpoint 11
MR5 on Windows Server 2008 R2 and
MR4 on Vista 32 Bit, SP2

We found a situation where it was impossible to copy files from a Windows Server 2008 R2 server to any of the Vista clients on site. We noticed it when Offline files were completely useless.

It was very time consuming (about 11 hours) to find a solution.  However, the problem is resolved. 

Client:   Symantec Endpoint MR4, Vista (32 bit)

Server:  Symantec Endpoint MR5, Server 2008 R2 (64 bit)

Test files:  1.5M PDF, 1M BMP


Copy from Server 2008 R2 to XP, no problem.

Copy from Server 2008 R2 to Server 2008, no problem

Copy from Server 2008 R2 to Server 2003 R2, no problem

Copy across bonded T1 to Newport News (XP, Server 2008, Server 2003), no problem.

Copy from Newport News Server 2008 to Pt. Mugu Vista, even across slow dual-bonded T1s, no problem.

**Copy from Server 2008 R2 to Vista fails**  3 different machines, all running Vista SP2.  100% failure.



Robocopy from server 2008 R2 to Vista fails ("The specified network is no longer valid").

SMB2  80090006 error, Invalid Signature, then  message repeats.

SBM1 8007003A error, then Invalid File handle

Other oddball messages. 

The file is not available for use on this computer.

80070057 parameter incorrect


Example:  SMB2 message box.


Test scenario and results:

File will open.  (PDF opens properly).

File will not copy.  Various error messages.



  • Cut off Server firewalls, no change

  • Cut off client firewalls, no change

  • NO  firewalls, no change

  • Chkdsk Server, , no change

  • Chkdsk Client, no change

  • Disable Symantec on Server, no change

  • Remove Symantec from server, no change

  • Change from SMB2 to SMB1, same problem, different message

  • Lower internet Explorer security, no change

  • Disable Symantec AV on PC, no change

  • Disable ALL Symantec services, no change

  • No active Symantec, no change

  • Run all MS updates, no change

  • Update Windows Defender, no change

  • Adjust Server NIC Power Settings, no change

  • Disable LogMeIn client on the Server, no change

  • Update and run Malwarebytes, no change



This issue is on the client.  It appears to be an interaction between MR4 on Vista 32 bit and MR5 on Server 2008 R2 (64 bit).

Remove Symantec MR4 from client.  Problem solved.

Upgrade both server and client to MR5.  Problem solved

Re-enable SMB2, problem solved.